Monday, August 26, 2013

Why I Will Watch 'Who is Next' - YG's Survival Show

The KPOP blogosphere is revved up because of the new reality survival show by YG Entertainment. For those who do not know, YG is the entertainment agency that handles Bigbang and 2NE1, and now they want to follow the success of their most successful group thus creating this show titled “ WIN: Who is Next?”

The show already premiered, with PSY (also a YG talent), Yoon Jong Shin and JYP saying that it is a must-watch and why they think it’s a must watch. The objective of the show is to have the 11 YG trainees compete with each other to become the next boy group of the agency. There are two teams, WIN Team A and WIN team B which are composed of talented singers and dancers and two of them are already famous because they were part of reality shows already.

Anywho, this is why I will be watching the show (yes, it is being shown in the Philippines, they say in a cable channel but I watch it in the net).

1. I am fascinated by how the entertainment industry in Korea works. 

This is the first thing I noticed when I started being a KPOP KPOP fan, they treat it as business. You see, here in the Philippines, in my opinion, as long as you look good or you are a son or daughter of an actor/actress then you’re good to go – sans the talent. I mean how many “stars” here in the country has celebrity last names and make it big just because they are part of the famous clans even if they don’t know how to act, sing or dance? I watched SS501 documentary when they were starting out and I was enamored by the boy’s dedication towards their craft. They wake up early, they practice their singing, they exercise everyday and practice their dance routine everyday even if they have not debuted yet.


This is also what I am expecting to see in WIN, albeit I am expecting a bit more rigorous training     because it is a competition after all. I want to see how a famous entertainment agency hones their talents to ensure success.

2. I want to see new faces in KPOP. 

Yes, there are a lot of new faces in the KPOP scene now; however, being able to watch a group starting from scratch will create new emotions for me. I remember when I watched “Starstruck” the Filipino reality show, I was so attached to Jenylyn Mercado and Mark Herras because I watched them when they were still ‘ugly ducklings’ til they become famous.

3. I love Bigbang.

Well, I am a VIP so I am really looking forward to seeing the boys on the show. I’ve read though that G-Dragon and Taeyang will be mentors on the show, but being a Daesung bias, I sure hope he will also be part of it. I want to watch all five of them giving advice and tips to the new boy group. And of course, I want to know whether the new group will have the will and the charms of Bigbang – if they can surpass them or at least equal them.




Do you want to watch WIN? If yes, why?


No comments:

Post a Comment