Monday, August 19, 2013

Korean Customs: Shaking Hands

There are a lot of things that fascinates me about the Korean culture and values. There are a lot of similarities with my country's values, but then I think that they are much stricter in some ways.

Last time, husband and I had a conversation about Korean handshake.

You see, when they do handshake, it is customary that they do it with their two hands, or with one hand holding the elbow. I noticed too that they do that when getting something from someone, for example when they buy something or pay for something. I've learned that this is a sign of respect.

My husband couldn't believe it. He said that he thinks it's too tiring to do that every time. But I think that it's a very nice custom.


In the photo above, you'll see how it's being done. 




This Korean custom also sparks much controversy sometimes, that is, if someone fails to do it, or in the case of the photo below, someone did a truly 'no-no' --putting your other hand in your pocket. 


Here, Bill Gates was shaking hands with the Korean president with his hands in her pocket which sparked controversy because lots of Koreans regard it as disrespect to the leader of their nation. Hmmm. Perhaps Bill Gates didn't know about this custom, but others of course argue that he should have researched or something because he is meeting a president. 

Anyway, I have watched many Korean variety shows and programs and I have seen the proper Korean handshake so many times too and every time, I find it really great that they are not influenced so much by the Western culture that they still do this. 

Oh, and when you see someone this cute does it? Daebak!


(Sorry I just have to, hahaha. VIP here and Daesung's my bias)



No comments:

Post a Comment